Finished

Other than a few minor tweaks, Somerland Studios is now finished. Brilliant timing as we come out of Lockdown over the next couple of months and Spring brings warmer weather (even though we have an efficient log burning stove, it’s a very big space to heat when outside is near to zero degrees)

It’s taken longer than planned, mainly because I kept adding extra features. I’m happy with the look and feel of it, a comfortable relaxing space. I’ve rewired the recording setup a little: I can record up to 24 tracks at once live, all vocals are recorded dry but can be monitored through headphones or even through the live room monitors wet. Same goes for all the drum mics, zero latency monitoring means that it’s totally down to us to play tight, nobody to blame but us for timing errors

The Tardis partial vocal isolation is more about feedback suppression and minimising spill capture from the main room than anything else. Of course that can be zero if you like using overdubbing but I think we like to capture the performance of the band live for Sedgemoor, having your vocalist wearing headphones away in an isolation Booth, out of sight, is not the best for feeling the vibe. We still have the isolated live drum room with multi-hinged door (on the right) so we can control the spill into the live room and we have the isolated control room with all of the computer gear and outboard equipment, patchbays etc (door on the left). Importantly for any self contained studio, we have toilet and washroom beyond the control room. It’s almost a residential facility (that’s what my wife says anyway, hopefully she isn’t planning anything! )

I restrung and mounted my original doubleneck high on the wall. I made it when I was 17 or 18, soooo long ago now. Snare drum clock hangs above the wood burner, tea and coffee at the kitchenette along with a well stocked beer and cider fridge, microwave for pizza and takeaways, and an array of optics for the alcohol (Jack Daniels, Stolichnaya vodka, spiced rum and Tanqueray gin). The 5 string Rick copy I made is now behind glass in a shadow box, I’m not totally happy with it to be honest, I think the neck is too slender (which is something I usually like) but this bass was made mostly over a weekend, to concentrate my mind away from the fact that we had sadly just lost a horse. I was angry and heartbroken over it and so I wasn’t as focused on the subtleties as I normally would be. I’m glad I have it though, it reminds me of her, gotta love horses.

Moving on from here now I can get back to making and writing music. I’ve not played whilst I’ve been doing the revamp. Time to get back into the swing of the work, updates will follow, thanks for your emails over the last few weeks and apologies that this update has taken a while, I wanted to finish, now its done.

Scroll Up